Top of Page
Menu Mobile menu arrow down
Search the Site

Getting There: The ISEPTAPHILLY Blog

29 SEPTA Love Stories ❤️

Love train edited

“Love doesn’t make the world go ’round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” - Franklin P. Jones

We couldn't agree more Franklin P. Jones and so do these 29 couples that found true love on SEPTA! Only 29 you ask? No! We have received dozens of SEPTA Love Stories over the years - but in the spirit of Leap Year - we narrowed it down to 29.

If you have or know of a SEPTA Love Story - please share it in the comments below.

Still looking for love? Maybe these 29 stories will cause you to think twice and view your commute as not just a means from "point A to point B" but a means to a future "you and me"!

1. Victoria: Michael and I met on the Broad Street Line on Labor Day weekend of 2013. We ended up sitting next to each other on the southbound train, talking sports rivalries (as Mike is a devoted Philadelphia Eagles/Phillies fan). We eventually made our way to Morgan's Pier. Three years later, he would take me back to Morgan's Pier to propose, and now 4 years later, we are getting married in a Philly! Thanks SEPTA for introducing me to Mike on the BSL all those years ago. :)

2. Theresa: My husband, John, and I met in September 1972 on one of the old "Red Rattlers" on the Wilmington Line. I was on my way to work in Philly and he was going to school for Drafting in the Northeast. He got on in Eddystone with his friends and I got on in Sharon Hill and met up with the girls I worked with. But getting on so far down the line I rarely got a seat. This day I was standing in the aisle towards the front of the car talking to my friends and one of his friends was sitting across from them. When we reached 30th Street a gentleman was getting off and instead of waiting for the train to get through the switches I started to sit down and fell into his friends lap. That literally broke the ice. We started dating and have been married for over 40 years. And our train conductor, John, attended our wedding!  By the way my husband has been collecting trains since his parents started him with his first train in 1957 and we had to add a room onto our home to house my husband’s train layout that is up all year around.

3. Rebecca: New Year’s Eve 2014 into 2015 I was with friends riding the El to a party in center city from 69th Street when a man walked on at 34th St. & sat behind me. I jokingly turned to him and asked, "Want to be my 2015 boyfriend?"  He replied yes and played along. As I was getting off at my stop he asked for my phone number. Years later and we are happily living together. It truly was a Miracle on 34th Street!

4. Julia: Ten years ago while riding the R3 West Trenton train home from work at Penn; I sat next to a man with the most gorgeous blue eyes. I noticed him from the time he walked through the door at Market East. On that day the train ran late, and of course I was late for an appointment. This man with the beautiful blue eyes began to talk to me. The first thing he said to me was "I know you for somewhere." I thought yeah great pick up line buddy. Turns out he coached my younger cousin’s ice hockey team, and saw me at the games. I got off the turn after talking to blue eyes for an hour, but I forgot to exchange numbers. So let's just say I frequented a lot of hockey games. Finally blue eyes and I went out on our first date. And two years later Rob and I got engaged on the platform of the Woodbourne Station. We have now have two beautiful girls. It was love at first sight on the West Trenton line.

5. Linda: This love story dates back to 1943. My father had been visiting a friend and happened to see my mother waiting for the trolley. The next day, he walked blocks out of his way to wait with her and ride the trolley to her stop. Then he had to walk many blocks back to get home. They rode the trolley together every day, and they slowly became friends until he had the nerve to ask her out. She had no idea that he was riding the wrong trolley just to be with her!  It must be have worked. They were happily married for over 40 years. Although they have both since passed, I credit those trolley rides as starting their romance.

6. Becki: I was running late for work one day and ran onto the subway at Spring Garden. I like to be on the first carriage as it's the one closest to the exit at the station so I walked through the train to the right carriage. Sat down and out the corner of my eye a guy was looking at me through squinted eyes so I put my headphones in (no music just needed to look like I was busy). He got up, came sat behind me, started tapping me on the shoulder, I ignored it! Tapped me 2nd time, I ignored him again. Tapped me a 3rd time and this time it was harder so I took out my headphones and said "what?" He asked if I recognized him, said my name - I lied and said no it was Claire. He called me out that I was lying and that we had in fact been talking/met on a dating app for a month prior - I had avoided going out on a date! 3 days later we went on our first date, 3 months later he told me he loved me and we've been together since then!

5. Francisco: I met my fiancé on the MFL. She bumped me so hard, she knocked my coffee I just got from Dunkin' Donuts out my hands! And got angry at me for being in her way! I apologized deeply to her! After that incident we became closer and fell in love!

6. Kristen: Hi! I met my husband at the Girard stop on the Frankford El in 2002. It was September and I had just moved to Philadelphia to attend Temple University. That semester, I took a theater class that required roaming all over the city to see plays and musicals for the course. I had used SEPTA a few times, but wasn't too familiar with it, and so while I made it to the play easily on the subway, I ended up getting lost on my way back. I accidentally got off at the Girard stop on the Market-Frankford Line instead of the Girard stop on the Orange Line. Whoops! I must have looked confused (after exiting the train and not recognizing the stop), because a handsome young man in a black hooded sweatshirt approached and asked if I was lost and if he could help. He showed me how to cross over to the other side of the track and gave me directions to the orange line and Temple. Then, he smiled and left. I sat on the opposite side of the track, waiting for the westbound train to take me back toward Temple. Little did I know, the handsome stranger had left the subway and walked down to street level, only to have a change of heart. He climbed back up the stairs on the west side of the street, swiped his TransPass, and found me on the opposite platform bench. The two of us officially introduced ourselves while I waited for the train to arrive. His name was Paul, and he was a Temple student as well! He wrote his telephone number down on the back of a pay stub and handed it to me just as the train approached. We married in October of 2008. The two of us and our sweet pit bull Gloria now live a block from that Girard El stop. We sit on that platform where we met (and where we've sat together countless times) and we'll always be thankful for SEPTA, chance encounters, and most of all - each other. Thank you!

7. Jamye: Once upon a time, on the Regional Rail Media/Elwyn Line, there were two recent college graduates living at their parents houses and commuting daily into Center City for work. We each thought the other looked familiar, but couldn't place why. One day, I gained the courage to sit next to him on the train and we quickly connected.  Turns out, we went to the same high school!  We graduated different years and never crossed paths... until SEPTA brought us together. We fell in love with the city and with each other and are now living together in Manayunk. We may have never found each other if it wasn't for our shared commute on the Regional Rail!

8. Troi: About a year ago I reconnected with my high school sweetheart on the Broad Street Line. We were both on our way down to Center City, we both ended up canceling our prior plans and hanging out together. We've been dating ever since.

9. Althea: I didn't realize it then, in the early 70's, but I was having a hard time trying to be strong, working, raising children and hoping to some day have a serious love life, someone to be there for me that I could count on. It must have been written on my face somehow, I guess. I was working as a clerk in North Philly in those days. Everyone would either wave as they walked by or would stop in on Friday's to cash their checks. One particular young man would smile at me and say hello each time he came in. I would always smile and say hello in return even though I saw him, I wasn't conscious of who he was. One cold winter night in January, I rode the 15 trolley going west. It was the older trolley back then and very crowded, standing room only at 5:00 PM and as I moved to the back door of the trolley to signal my stop a tall handsome young man approached me with a slight smile and said "hi, you know I've seen you on this trolley before and every time you get off you leave something". I was tired and in deep thought over what dinner would be and other things regarding home, and startled I looked around to see what I had left, looking confused at the young man he said with a smile, "me".  We both laughed and I got off at my stop. The next time I saw him we began to talk and ride the trolley west together. One evening he got off with me and walked me home. That was the beginning of a deep and meaningful relationship that has lasted for over 30 years. We married in 1987, raised our children and grandchildren and worked together building a relationship that has transcended time, but we will always remember our days on the SEPTA Trolley going west. Oh yeah, we were married February 14, 1987 at 12:00 noon. Happy Valentines Day!

10. Rick: I was sleepy-eyed that late April morning in 2014 as I made my way to the platform at 30th Street Station to begin my journey to New York City. Awaiting the SEPTA Regional Rail that would take me to Trenton, where I would transfer and continue my trip, the excitement of going to see my first Flyers playoff game against the rival New York Rangers was jolting me awake. Little did I know that later that same day, I would meet the beautiful woman that would become my girlfriend just four short months later. After spending the day cheering on the Flyers in enemy territory (sadly they lost), it was time to make my way back home to Philadelphia. Luckily, I sat right across the aisle from this gorgeous dark-haired girl with a "don't mess with me look" to her. In a chatty mood, I did my best to strike up a conversation with her on the first leg of my return journey.  We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk, being careful not to reveal too much information (trying hard to keep our guards up). As I seamlessly switched trains at the Trenton Transit Center, I thought, "Well, that was nice," knowing I was not likely see her again. After we started out from the station, a quick glance around the SEPTA train car would prove me wrong - There she was just two rows behind me! I sprung from my seat and plunked down next to her to pick up where we left off - I had to know more. Though the ride went by a little too quickly and I was not able to get her number, I was sure to give her mine, along with a tip that my birthday was coming up later that week. We went our separate ways and I had to convince myself to try to forget about the girl from the train. I almost did until I received a text message on my birthday that read, "Happy Birthday train buddy." We quickly made plans to meet at Monk's Cafe to double check our instincts from the train ride.  We must have been right, because here we are, living together in South Philadelphia, commuting on the Broad Street Line to our jobs together, and about to celebrate another Valentine's Day together. Thanks SEPTA <3

11. Damaris: Yes I met my true love on the SEPTA. I had just moved here from Orlando and I was riding to a doctor appointment when as soon I saw her, her eyes hypnotized me. She just had that look that made me melt. I had to start a conversation with her. We got married on July 15, 2017. We are proud lesbians, One Love! Love wins!

12. Rob: After boarding a train one day, I noticed a new and very beautiful girl on the train. I could tell she noticed me as well. We exchanged glances and smiles for several months. One day, a broken train allowed us to talk to each other. Although we didn't officially go on a date for the next few months, I knew she was special. After she asked me out one afternoon on a train ride home, we have been together and inseparable ever since. I proposed to her in the concourse of suburban station one morning.  That was the spot where we always kissed goodbye before going to work. We got married and now have twins! Although our commute is much different in the morning than it used to be. We credit SEPTA for our love and family.

13. Jennifer: I moved to Philadelphia in May 2004 and started taking the R6 from Wissahickon to Suburban Station. After a few months, I saw this really cute guy standing at the far end of the platform. Eventually, he would come to be known as “Spikey-Haired Cute Guy From the Train” to my closest friends. One day, I noticed that he was standing a little further up the platform than usual. Week after week, it seemed as though he was moving his way closer to me. On January 12th, 2005, I headed to my normal spot on the platform, and there he was, that spikey haired cute guy from the train, standing there with a Metro – and he handed it to me with a brief “hello.” He did the same thing the next day as well. Our conversation didn’t go beyond that single word, but I could barely contain myself when I got on the train those two mornings. I told my friend that I was going to initiate conversation with him the next day. Unfortunately, he wasn’t on the platform. On the 19th, he was back – with another Metro and more conversation. We introduced ourselves, talked the whole train ride into the city, and went on our first date the very next day. After a few months of dating, I learned from his friends that his slow shift on the train platform was a calculated move that took him weeks to initiate. He had been talking about me for weeks (his nickname for me? Hot Girl From The Train. Haha.) Finally his friends convinced him to say hello. We’ve been together ever since that fateful day in January 2005. And on November 14 , 2009, Jason and I were married. We stopped at the Wissahickon Station and had photos taken on the very same platform where we first met. Even though we now live in Center City and don’t take public transit as much anymore, we will always be grateful for SEPTA – without it we may never have met.

14. Stephanie: In August of 2009 I was waiting at the 67 bus stop to catch the bus to work. There was one other person at the bus stop. A cute guy around my age holding a fishing rod. He asked me if I knew what time the bus was coming and our conversation continued from there. We always say he "reeled in" more than fish that day as he also reeled me in. Our story proves you can find love while riding SEPTA.

15. Martin: I recognized a girl I went to college with on the Regional Rail and sat next to her because she was wearing a sweatshirt with the University's name on it. We talked from Torresdale Station to Suburban Station and ended up planning a date for later that week. We spoke about how we both live in Northeast Philadelphia, and that she takes the train every day to work! After that, I began to see her on the train every day and it made my mornings much more pleasant! We have been dating for two years and are moving in together later this year. Thanks, SEPTA!

16. Larry: I began riding the old R7 Trenton Line right out of high school in the fall of 1982. Commuting from Bristol to Drexel University for my engineering degree was my new life. As time went on, I would ride the train with my brother or other friends. In the fall of 1984, I noticed a new passenger riding the train with us. She would get on at Bristol and get off at 30th Street Station. Soon after leaving the iconic train station, she would disappear down into the depths of the trolley line. Being a Drexel student, I was already on campus, so I never knew where those mysterious steps went. All during that school year, I would see this new, attractive young lady ride the train, frequently with a male train-mate. I had just assumed that they were “together” and would casually greet them at the station, but nothing more. Through the winter and spring, we would all greet each other cordially. It was in a conversation later in the school year that I learned that this “couple” were actually brother and sister, and certainly were not “together”, as I once had thought. All of a sudden, my cordial greetings became a little more focused on one particular train-mate. Unfortunately, her brother would now be stuck sitting by himself occasionally if an empty three-seater wasn’t available. Sorry, Bob! After we began talking, we both learned that while I was thinking she was involved with her prior train-mate, she was also thinking the same of me when I would sometimes sit with an old high school friend. Come late June of that year, I finally got the nerve to ask her out to go miniature golfing with me on July 5, 1985. I vividly remember jotting her phone number down on the only paper in my pocket—my tattered red and white Trenton train schedule, of course. From then on, we spent many, many train rides together. She eventually taught me where those mysterious trolley steps led as she welcomed me to visit her campus at the former PCP&S (University of the Sciences). We spent many cold mornings on the train holding hands. It was my job to get her freezing hands up to temperature by the time we got to Torresdale. It was always her job to whip out a bag of M&M’s out of thin air. (I have never figured that one out.) After several years, we got engaged on July 5 at the same miniature golf course, and then got married in 1989. We went on to have five wonderful children and eventually moved to Florida. Whenever back in Pennsylvania, we always enjoyed taking all five kids on the Trenton Line down to Philly. It was a whole different experience with them. They all loved those train rides. They seemed almost at home there. I guess they had it in their blood. Enjoy the M&M’s, kids!

17. Shan: Four years ago, on February 8th, I actually left work almost on time. I’m a teacher and I tend to stay late. On the sub, I chatted with a student. I was so engrossed in the conversation that I didn't notice the girl that got on at city hall. She noticed me. She texted her friend: "I just saw my soulmate on the train. She doesn't know it yet, but she got off at my stop. It'll happen." I didn't know. I remember vaguely a girl exiting the train dressed oddly, with clunky boots and a skirt. There was snow that day, so the attire made sense, but it struck me as unusual nonetheless. The girl walked in front of me as we climbed the stairs. I have no idea why that detail stuck in my head on a random winter day. Six days later, on Valentine's Day, we met. I was acting as wingman (badly) for a friend. The girl was volunteering for an organization. Within minutes, our friends joked that they would see each other at our wedding. I didn't find out about her seeing me on the train for quite some time. I didn't believe her when she told me. She had to go back and show me the text. I’m really glad that oddly dressed girl with those boots became my wife. Best. Commute. Ever. **Edit: My wife pointed out that she was not "oddly dressed" but rather "dressed appropriately for the inclement weather." Haha. Fair.

18. Elena: On April 27th, 2014, I was traveling back to Philadelphia from a birthday party in NYC via NJ Transit to 30th Street Station. It was a nearly empty car and I was looking forward to a relaxing ride home. Just before the train took off from Penn station, two gentleman sat in the row next to me, rocking out to Guns N’ Roses. At first I thought, “Oh, great.” As much as I tried, I couldn’t ignore the man with the kind smile and dreamy eyes who started talking to me about his adventures of the day. I learned that the boys were headed home from the Flyers vs. Rangers game for his early birthday celebration. He started opening up to me about his life. I think he even revealed his social security number to me!  Being shy and cautious, I offered little information about myself other than my first name. Before we transferred at Trenton, he sat right next to me and offered me his business cards. He joked that he was quite the catch, stating, “I work for the city of Philadelphia AND I’m in a rock band.” I darted out at Trenton and we lost each other during the transfer. I sat alone on the next train, wondering. Upon safe arrival to 30th street station, we crossed paths. He asked me to promise that I would contact him either way, because he wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about me. I played it cool and quickly made my way to the Market/Frankford line. A few days later, I found myself still thinking about him. Knowing when his real birthday was, I sent him a simple message that started it all, “happy birthday, train buddy. “Almost three years later, we have very much fallen in love with each other. He has helped me experience all there is to love about Philadelphia. He has brought so much joy to my life and our little home in South Philly. We have been very grateful for SEPTA’s role in helping us access all the fun happenings the city has to offer: Phillies games, the amazing bars and restaurants, and of course, (along with many other concerts), the Guns N’ Roses show one summer at Lincoln Financial. I still can’t believe how lucky we are to have found each other.

19. Peggy: I met the love of my life on the 107 Briarcliff. My beloved Pete would sit behind me and do the silliest things including pulling my hair! To get my attention! Soon we would stop for coffee in the mornings when we reached 69th street and as the days rolled on I would find him waiting for me at 5 pm in the terminal. We were together for 30 years sadly I lost him in 2009 as I write this I can remember the sights and sounds of that 107 bus and the terminal! How I long for those days!

20. Tim: I met my girlfriend, Christa, at Suburban Station and it turned out we both commute on the Trenton Line. But it started 3 years ago. I thought she was so beautiful and her smile could light up the entire station. But I noticed an engagement ring. She was in fact engaged to be married. So I never made a move and completely respected her and her relationship. I also, was in a relationship, actually at the end of a bad relationship. So I kept how I felt about Christa to myself. Well it turns out she was having the same feelings of attraction towards me and like me, she kept it to herself. Three years of stealing glances and polite banter. Then this past September, surprise, she sits down next to me on the train. I hadn't noticed but the engagement ring has been off for over a year! She said Hi and asked for my name. I asked her the same and we talked the whole ride home. We've been dating ever since and sit with each other every day to and from work. We both are very much in love and couldn't be happier. Thanks to SEPTA I met the love of my life.

21. Andrew: When I came to Philadelphia, it was a very stressful and hard move and adjusting to my new city was really tough, especially because I had given up my car. I ended up on the 9 bus from Roxborough to Center City every morning and every night. About a week into my new commute I noticed a really beautiful girl coming to the bus stop at the same time as me. We would always get on at the same stop in Roxborough and get off at the same spot in Center City. It took about two weeks, but I finally worked up the nerve to start up a conversation with her. I'm glad I did because we've been dating for almost four years, we have a great dog and we've traveled all over the world together! We're going to get married and it's all because we used the same bus! And, yes, we still take it together almost daily.

22. Jessica: Nine years ago a guy and a girl met on the SEPTA train on their way into work at their respective offices. That girl is me, and the guy is my now husband, Nick. When my husband first saw me on the train, he said that the first thing he noticed was that I was always smiling and happy when everyone else appeared solemn. Eventually, one day he decided to chat with me and asked me out on a dinner date. I accepted his offer to take me on a date, and we were inseparable ever since. Coincidentally, little did we know that we grew up just one town away from each other but somehow never crossed paths. If it weren't for SEPTA my husband I may have never even met each other. Thank you, SEPTA, for guiding me to my soul mate. As we always say, "you fall in love with the most unexpected person, at the most unexpected time".

23. Jolanda: One day 4 years ago I usually take my car but that day decided to take the bus. I took the R and the operator that day waited for me as I was running. He smiled and as I asked him directions we locked eyes and knew it was love at first sight. We've been inseparable since and we can't wait to spend the rest of our lives together and our family. If it wasn't for me riding the bus I would have never found Sammy the love of my life. Thank you SEPTA!

24. Matthew: I met my wife on a SEPTA bus 25 years ago and now with 4 kids later we are still married!

25. Jacqueline: I take the Regional Rail to work every day. One morning I sat next to a very attractive gentleman with an incredible beard. I had my headphones in and you could see on my phone screen which band I was listening to. He tapped on my shoulder and mentioned that I was listening to his favorite band and that he had tickets to see them in a few weeks. We chatted for the rest of the ride and right before I got off the train, he handed me his number and said "text me if you'd like to see that band with me. I have an extra ticket." I texted him as soon as I got to my office that day! We talked nonstop for the next three weeks until that concert. I didn't see him on the train again (turns out he was not a regular commuter!). We really hit it off at the show and it was the absolute best first date I've ever had. We dated for two years, got engaged, and got in 2017!

26. Eugenia: My husband and I met at 30th Street Station on 2/5/2001 in the middle of a surprise snow storm that hit the city. It was after 8pm; the trains were not running, and I, being a Temple freshman and fairly new to commuting, was cold and scared. I saw a guy who looked familiar, I recognized him from Philmont Station so I decided to start talking to him because if he found a way home I would too. We ended up talking until we finally made it to Philmont (a few hours later) and were train buddies for a year until we officially began dating. Fast forward - we've been married for 15 years and have two girls! A late or suspended train isn't always a bad thing ;)

27. Judith: I met my husband Michael on Valentine’s Day at 15th Street on the Market Frankford Line Platform on Valentine’s Day 1972. He asked me what I did for excitement and I have to say that at first I was hesitant but then accepted his offer for a date. We were engaged by April of 1972. I was from Mayfair and he was from Port Richmond. The rest is history. We have been married since April 14, 1973 and have 2 grown children. It was fate that I was on the platform that day and also that it was Valentine’s Day.

28. Lisa: My (now) husband and I were friends for years before we started dating. In 2003, when we were just friends, we worked together and would often take the #10 trolley from 36th Street to our respective stops in Center City. Then one day, while on the train, something changed. We locked eyes, and he kissed me goodbye when we reached his stop. I was beyond smitten. We’ve been together ever since, have been married since 2009, and have 2 incredible kids. To this day, every time I see the #10, I can't help but smile. Thanks SEPTA!

29. Victoria: Michael and I met on the Broad Street Line on Labor Day weekend of 2013. We ended up sitting next to each other on the southbound train, talking sports rivalries (as Mike is a devoted Philadelphia Eagles/Phillies fan). We eventually made our way to Morgan's Pier. Three years later, he would take me back to Morgan's Pier to propose, and now 4 years later, we are getting married in a Philly! Thanks SEPTA for introducing me to Mike on the BSL all those years ago. :)


Cc2019 digital 300x250 fnl rev
Local Happenings